4th Annual Astronomy Festival
Saturday, September 21st
- 10 am - Tour: Learn how the petroglyphs and monumental architecture of Chaco Canyon are related to the night skies.
- 1 pm - 4 pm, Interactive Activities
• Have fun with solar telescopes.
• Make bracelets with beads that change color in the sun.
• Learn about the power of constellations.
• View a model of the spiral petroglyph called the Sun Dagger which marks the solstices and equinoxes.
• Build a model of a structure that aligns with the summer solstice.
- 2 pm - Tour: Explore one of the largest known great kivas in the world.
- 8 pm - Night Program: View the night sky through powerful telescopes while mingling with expert astronomers.
Chaco Culture National Historical Park will host its fourth Astronomy Festival on September 20-23, 2019. Visitors can watch the skies and observe the autumnal equinox like the Chacoan people did 1,000 years earlier. Programs and viewings will take place amid epic architecture that aligns with the cycles of the sun and the moon.
The astronomy festival will feature night sky viewing, daytime tours and presentations with rangers and guest speakers. Hands-on activities for all ages will explore Chaco’s connection to the skies. There is an admission fee into the park.
The festival concludes Monday, September 23 with a program for the Autumnal Equinox. Visitors can observe the sun rising in alignment with one of the world’s largest great kivas - Casa Rinconada. This program is limited to the first 100 people.
More Information (KSJE 90.9 FM is not responsible for external websites)
Chaco Culture National Historic Park
County Road 7900 From Highway 550
The event runs from 10:00am to 8:00pm on the following dates.
Select a date to add this event to your calendar app.
High: 64°F | Low: 28°F
High: 59°F | Low: 25°F
High: 66°F | Low: 27°F
High: 61°F | Low: 25°F
Santa Fe, NM
High: 63°F | Low: 34°F